Our School App Stay connected on the go...
Sixth Form Contract
Below is a copy of the Sixth Form contract that you, along with your son/ daughter and their tutor, will sign in September. Please use this for reference.
Sixth Form Contract 2021-2022
Waingels expects a firm commitment from all Sixth Form students.
As a member of Waingels Sixth Form I will:
- Ensure 95%+ attendance to all lessons and tutor sessions
- Remain on site from 8.40am to 3.00pm with the exception of lunchtime. *8.00am if you have a Period ‘0’ & 4.00pm if you have a Period 6. During the Coronavirus pandemic timings may be subject to change based on Government guidance at the time.
- Attend punctually to lessons including enrichment and PE, tutor time, assemblies and Silent Study sessions
- Engage in at least one week of Work Experience in Year 12
- Ensure my parents/carers report any absence as soon as possible to the Attendance Officer
- If at all possible, make medical appointments outside the school day
- Apply for pre-authorisation for university visits, driving lessons or medical appointments that take place during the school day
- Swipe in or out when arriving/leaving school if I have pre-authorisation to leave the site during the day
- Wear my identification card and lanyard at all times
- Adhere to the ‘Code of Conduct - Covid 19’ and ‘Staying Safe on School Site’ protocols
- Abide by the IT and Bring your own device (BYOD) Agreement
To ensure academic success at Sixth Form I will:
- Ensure every assignment, piece of coursework or homework is submitted in accordance with my teacher’s deadlines
- Complete all classwork and homework to a high standard and to the best of my ability
- Work hard towards achieving or exceeding my learning targets
- Ask for help from staff to ensure support is being provided to meet my needs
- Inform my tutor if there are circumstances that may affect my learning
- Complete any work missed due to absence
- Keep my folders up to date for each subject
- Plan and manage deadlines and revision on an ongoing basis
- Complete 15-20 hours of study outside of taught lessons each week
- Make use of the Sixth Form study areas between the hours of 8.00am and 6.00pm
- Carry on no more than 10 hours a week of part time work
- Take up opportunities offered for further study and leadership
- Ensure that IT facilities are only used for the support of subject development/learning
- Check emails daily to receive messages from staff and for career opportunities
- Take responsibilities for laptops and other personal devices brought onto school site by bringing a padlock to securely store them in lockers when not in use
As part of the Sixth Form and wider Waingels community I will:
- Take an active part in the Sixth Form and school community and act as a role model for others in the school
- Complete weekly Prefect duties and community service, to be signed off by my Tutor
- Attend and perform duties at Open Evening and attend Presentation Evening
- Adhere to the dress code and look smart at all times
- Ensure I do not park on the school site
- Be considerate of neighbouring residents if parking in the road near the school
- Keep mobile phone use to the Sixth Form area and not use in full view of lower school students
- Ensure I use my study time effectively at all times
- Treat the Sixth form facilities with respect. This includes clearing away rubbish, cups and plates and returning them to the canteen
- Only consume water near the computers, in the Sixth Form and Silent Study room. All other food and drink should be consumed in the coffee shop/Common Room/Sixth Form area
- Ensure the learning space is left as I found it. If I notice any problems, I will notify the KS5 Learning Manager
- Respect the rules of each learning area; Silent study zones, ‘quiet’ work in the open areas and the café and group work in bookable rooms
If I am not meeting the school’s expectations, I can expect:
- Sixth Form sanctions to be issued at the request of my teacher, tutor or Head of Year
- To be sent home to change if I am not dressed in accordance with the school’s dress code
- To be assigned additional hours of silent study if I am not managing my study periods
- To be placed on monitoring with my Tutor or the Head of Year for additional meetings and support
- Restrictions to be placed on my privileges as a Sixth Form student
- To be invited to a meeting, with my parents/cares, to review my progress
I understand that my place in Waingels Sixth Form will be reviewed if I am in breach of this contract.
In addition to the above expectations I understand that the school reserves the right to review my exam entries in the light of my commitment and progress.
I know that my progress, achievement, attendance and behaviour will be monitored throughout my time in the Sixth Form and may result in intervention from my tutor. I understand that these will form the basis of my final school reference for work or further study.
As parents/carers your role will remain an important one in ensuring your son/daughter meets the expectations of the Sixth Form, and therefore achieves success in the Sixth Form and beyond.
To support my son/daughter in the Sixth Form I will:
- Ensure that attendance to school remains above 95%, inclusive of all lessons including enrichment and PE, tutor time, assemblies and Silent Study sessions
- Notify the school’s attendance officer of any absences on email@example.com or leave a voice mail message on 0118 918 6067 - 24hrs
- Advise the KS5 Learning Manager of any appointments for my son/daughter during the school day
- Where appropriate I will provide medical notes to the Attendance Officer
- Discuss with my son/daughter their progress with their subjects and independent learning
- Check that my son/daughter is dressed in accordance with the dress code
- Attend Parent Consultations’ and Sixth Form information evenings
- Support my son/daughter in meeting the expectations of Waingels Sixth Form
- Notify my son/daughter’s tutor of any changes in circumstances or concerns I have about my son/daughter’s educations or wellbeing
- Ensure my son/daughter has read carefully the ‘Code of Conduct - Covid 19’, Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Agreement and ‘Staying Safe on School Site’ protocols
Sixth Form Tutors
Sixth Form Tutors play a key role in supporting you in your studies. It is important that you maintain regular contact with your tutor. In turn your tutor will ensure that they are supporting you throughout your time in the Sixth Form.
As your tutor I will:
- Monitor your overall progress, behaviour and attendance on a weekly basis and intervene, in accordance with the school’s policies on behaviour and attendance
- Meet with you at least once a term to review your progress and set realistic targets to ensure progress
- Support you with organisation of work, folders and independent study
- Make contact with your parents/guardians where appropriate
- Provide advice, support and guidance on a regular basis
- Support you with post-18 options, including guidance with work experience, personal statements and provision of references for university and apprenticeship applications.