Our School App Stay connected on the go...
Year 6 to Year 7 Transition
We would like to offer a Waingels welcome to all Year 6 students who have received their formal offer of a place at Waingels in September. We look forward to you joining us and becoming part of the Waingels community.
We will be writing to you soon to share with you details of the process and what you can expect next but please do put the following dates in your diary.
Transition Day for students – This will take place on Wednesday 26th June. All of our Year 6 students will be joining us for the day to explore our Waingels values and what life will be like in September.
Transition Evening for parents – This will be taking place on the evening of Wednesday 26th June at 6pm and will be led by the Principal and our transition team, where you will be able to ask questions and get yourself fully prepared for the transition to secondary school.
Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact the transition team who will be happy to help and support you through the transition process please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Our aim is to be an exceptional school, striving for excellence at the heart of our community, where Better Never Stops. At Waingels we are tremendously proud of our academic results at GCSE and A level and take great pride in the nurturing and support that we offer to all our students, helping them to grow into adults that enjoy fulfilling lives. We believe that our core values reflect this commitment: Respect, Resilience, Kindness and Pride.
We know the that the transition from Primary to Secondary school can be daunting and that choosing the right school is important.
At Waingels we are committed to providing the best transition possible for Year 7 students. We actively try to ensure that students are more familiar with our staff and school before they start here. In order to achieve this, we have extended opportunities to support students by trying to engage with Primary Schools from much earlier. Our new Building Better Futures Day offers the chance for all Year 6 students to spend a day at Waingels and explore the specialist classrooms and equipment. The day will give them the opportunity to carry out activities with a global implication but will also help students to understand how important our culture and values are at Waingels. These days are TBC.
Our Open Evening is on Thursday 3rd October 2019, starting at 5:30pm- 8:30pm. On Opening Evening, there will be a tour led by Waingels students who will be able to show you the amazing facilities we have at the school; there will also be opportunities to hear from students about their transition experience at Waingels and the support they receive throughout their journey with us. The Principal, Tom Bartlett, will be giving a presentation in which he shares Waingels’ successes and the importance of our culture and values.
We also have additional Open Events on:
- Tuesday 29th April 2019
- Monday 3rd June 2019
To attend these please contact Waingels School Office on 0118 969 0336.
Once you have chosen Waingels as your school and have been allocated a place then the transition will begin:
- All students will have an opportunity to come for a Transition Day in June; during this day students will get to meet other students in their tutor group and to experience what it is like moving around the school and going to different classes.
- A member of our transition team will also be in touch and visit the primary schools of our new students.
- We have a ‘Meet the Tutors’ evening where all students will meet their form tutors and have an opportunity to participate in team-building activities whilst the parents can meet with the Transition team and ensure that all of the paperwork is completed and any questions or concerns are addressed.
- In September there will be a Year 7 Parents’ Forum which is the opportunity to find out more about the school and ask any questions that have arisen in the first few weeks.
- We will also run Student/Parent workshops for Numeracy, Literacy and Study Skills to help support the transition to KS3 level work and to ensure that we can all work together to support our students with the curriculum and homework.
To stay true to our school motto Better Never Stops the support for our students doesn't stop. Throughout their time here students will have other transition periods and we will endeavour to support them at these stages with as much care and attention as we do when they start here in Year 7. Below are a few examples:
- Students in Year 8 are given an opportunity to choose their Arts and Performing Arts subjects which they will specialise in during Year 9. Students are supported in making their choices with advice and guidance from teachers, assemblies for students, a comprehensive options booklet and a parents’ information evening.
- In Year 9 students have to make the very difficult decisions regarding their GCSE option subjects. This is supported with an information evening about the subjects, assemblies by all options subjects and a parents’ evening.
- Careers advice and guidance is incredibly important and as a result we provide lots of opportunities for students to attend careers fairs, take part in enterprise days, and there is the amazing opportunity students have in Year 11 to take part in Microsoft interview day.
- Students have to do more exams than ever before. We know how important it is for us to support students by making sure they are prepared with the skills and resilience needed to be successful. We offer after-school clinics for all core subjects and provide other revision support in the holidays and at weekends. We also offer support and counselling for any students that suffer with anxiety or stress in the run up to the exams.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Admissions Team.
To view Waingels admissions arrangements for the academic year, please click here.